Editor’s Note: The following article is the first in a new series on the Beacon Bolt which will be called NCU Anonymous. Each edition of NCU Anonymous will highlight a controversial topic, and students will have the chance to share their opinion through a completely anonymous survey given by the Beacon Bolt staff beforehand. The results of this week’s topic, marijuana usage, will be shared below.
We hope that, through this new series, a greater understanding of the diversity of opinions and views held by the students at Northwest Christian University will gained by the readers of the Beacon Bolt.
Please note that the views expressed are the opinions of the anonymous students who took the survey, and are not necessarily the views of the Beacon Bolt staff.
Total NCU Students Surveyed: 45
- How many people do you know smoke marijuana?
1-2 people – 15.56% (7 responses)
3.4 people – 11.11% (5 responses)
More than 5 people – 73.33% (33 responses)
I don’t know anyone who smokes marijuana – 0.00% (0 responses)
- Which do you think is more harmful to a person’s health if consuming more than recommended: marijuana or alcohol?
Marijuana – 4.44% (2 responses)
Alcohol – 73.33% (33 responses)
Both are equally harmful – 20.00% (9 responses)
Neither are harmful – 2.22% (1 response)
- If marijuana was legal in the U.S., would it bother you if people used it in public?
Yes – 53.33% (24 responses)
No – 46.67% (21 responses)
- Proposition 64 would legalize marijuana use by adults 21 years or older in California. If this was a proposition in Oregon, how would you vote?
Yes – 57.78% (26 responses)
No – 42.22% (19 responses)
- Do you think negatively of people who smoke marijuana?
Yes – 22.22% (10 responses)
No – 77.78% (35 responses)